Health protection in the case of washing up liquid

Is dishwashing liquid harmful if swallowed?

Accidental ingestion of the dishwashing liquid may cause irritation. It is best to drink a glass of water immediately after swallowing the liquid to dissolve it. Don't make yourself vomit.

Symptoms such as stomach discomfort, diarrhea and vomiting may appear. If symptoms persist or worsen, call your primary care physician or poison control center, or go to an emergency room right away.

What to do if the dishwashing liquid gets into the eyes

Immediately rinse out the washing-up liquid from the eyes with plenty of water. If you wear contact lenses, remove them immediately. Eye contact with the fluid can cause irritation and a burning sensation, and even blurred vision or difficulty focusing if the fluid is not rinsed out. If symptoms persist, change, or worsen, seek medical attention.

Is unrinsed dishwashing liquid poisonous?

If you do not rinse your dishes properly after washing them, there may be dried detergent on your plates, cups and other dishes.

In most cases, small amounts of washing up liquid should not be poisonous. Therefore, if you dry your dishes without rinsing them properly, you can reduce the risk of symptoms by drinking a glass of water after eating to dissolve the liquid more. However, any amount of dishwashing fluid in the body can cause irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach discomfort. If these symptoms persist or worsen, see your doctor.

Dishwashing liquid safety tips

Here are some helpful safety tips to reduce the likelihood of the dishwashing liquid being swallowed or coming into contact with your eyes.

  • Always keep the dishwashing liquid away from small children and pets. Place it out of their reach to prevent accidental ingestion. 
  • Rinse thoroughly after washing the dishes. This reduces the risk of irritation. In addition, your food and drinks will not taste like washing up liquid.
  • When scrubbing the dishes, move the sponge in the opposite direction to your body, just like using a knife to prevent your eyes from being accidentally splashed.

Related Articles

#ENJOYTOGETHER